Sunday, May 31, 2015

remembering an elect lady : Celecta Moss



At the beginning of May, Bronson's aunt, Celecta Dixon Moss passed away in Provo, UT on Sunday May 3rd, 2015, at the age of 50, after years of heart complications. 


Here is her obituary: She was born January 16th, 1965 to Julia and Neal Dixon in Logan, UT. She was the fifth of seven children including three brothers, Dan, Jim, and Mike, and three sisters, JuNeal, Donita, and Sabrina. Celecta grew up in Redding, CA before moving to Provo for college. She met her husband and eternal companion, Ed Moss, early in her college career at Brigham Young University and they were sealed in the Jordan River Temple on August 25th, 1984. She graduated with a degree in Physics with two sons and a daughter on the way. They moved their family to San Diego, CA after graduation, adding another son and daughter to their family in the process. After a short stay in Southern California, they moved back to Orem, UT where they had three more daughters, and finished raising their family. 
She is survived by her husband (Ed), seven children and their spouses (Patrick - Whitney, Devin - Mercedes, Celecta - Ryan, Tyler - Brandie, Camille, Elaine, Megan), father (Neal Dixon), and ten grandchildren. She is joining her mother (Julia Dixon) and brother (Mike Dixon) in the next stage of life.
Celecta was a mother first and foremost. She loved gardening, music, sewing, books, babies, and family history. She was devoted to the service of others, serving as a foster mother, faithfully fulfilling church callings and selflessly putting the needs of others before her own. She loved going on walks which included smelling flowers, crunching leaves, and stomping through the snow. She was adored by ten grandchildren who loved reading books, playing toys and doing puzzles with her.
Honoring her wishes, there will be no viewing. Memorial service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 9th in the chapel at 450 S. 100 W. in Orem, UT. Immediately following the services there will be an opportunity to meet and greet the family in the cultural hall. 


I just felt impressed to write down my feelings about this funeral. 
I never met Celecta, but yet, cried, and mourned as if she was my very own aunt. As I sat through her memorial service, hearing talks by her children, musical numbers by her daughters, and seeing the number of guests to honor and remember her, it was very evident what an elect lady she was. 

The funeral was especially hard for me, not because I necessary missed her, but, because my heart hurt for what her family will now experience. I can not even begin to fathom. Their youngest daughter is leaving for her mission, the same month that Ed and Celecta were to serve theirs. The second youngest, still remains in college for the next couple of years, and then third youngest just finished college. I have been through similar stages of these girls life--and I don't think I could have done it without my mother. 

What was made evident to me, was each other their childrens deep embedded testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Everyone talks about believing God's eternal plan for His children, but it never becomes more real then at a time like this--when its what you have to remember every day to keep going. 

I've been inspired by attending Celecta's memorial service, even though it was nearly a month ago. I still remember the way I felt--wanting to serve a little more, smile even more, and be a peacemaker (I really need to work on that). 

Even though the circumstance was awful, sad, and heart breaking--it was beautiful to see the uniting of families, bringing support and encouragement. I guess, its really true. God really did give us families for a reason. To help us love, and live, be inspired and supported, but also to lift each other up--when your family is altered and changed just for the time being on earth. 

I know now even more that families are eternal. And I am so grateful Christ died to make that possible. 

1 comment

  1. So beautifully put. I just saw the passing of Celecta. My heart is broken that my husband and I haven't melted in touch. We truly would have been there to pay our respect to the family, hug and love on Ed and the kids. Please have Ed get in touch with Bruce and Jayne Bergen

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

© j u s t e m i l y
Maira Gall