Saturday, March 3, 2012

time, or the lack thereof

I've been thinking alot about time lately. Maybe it was because we had an assignment in my life planning class to record everything thing we did for a week--down to every fifteen minutes. it was eye-opening how easily i waste those five minutes waiting for the bus, or walking to work, or after class, or when i get home. It then caused me to take action. (for all you mac users--this applies to you, but i found a free app in the app store and it tracks everything i do on the computer. it tells me how long i spent browsing the internet, using email, word, excel, etc.) I will reward myself one of these days for limiting media use. 

TIME is something that i feel is just slipping away from me--which is not good. I'm not even 20. But more in the sense of day to day--i feel like i never have enough time for anything. truly. 
so...after conversations with my sisters how i was having to miss class just so i could do the hw for other classes or to take a test, because I wouldn't be able to get to the testing center in between work and school or after work--something just has to be cut. so...i did some calculations. 

24 hrs a day X 5 Days= 120 hrs a week of life. 
The rest is pretty self explanatory. But if you see my final calculation, it means I have about 2 hrs a day to do everything else--eating, working out, getting ready for school & bed, cleaning, serving, magnifying call, scripture study, trying to have a social life. But honestly--those 2 hrs seem to go missing in the grand scheme of things. The thing I realized is....it is not humanely possible to do everything I need to do in regards to life and school with the amount of time we have in a week and a day. 
I thought for a second--this is silly, why I am even trying in life. 
That was the carnal, foolish Emily. 
Then I thought---DUH. I have Heavenly Father to help me everyday. 
Sure, I won't be able to dedicate as much time as I would like to my studies. Or I will probably have to sacrifice a few hours a sleep to stay up and do homework, but that was okay. I realized i don't need to DO everything, but rather focusing on BEing something. And...most importantly, Heavenly Father will help me feel that everything is manageable rather than overwhelming--which is the most comforting. 

I am an imperfect person. And I can absolutely accept that. 
But I have been taught the principles and teachings a perfect gospel which are helping me daily in my constant dedication to become something--even in lack of physical time we have in our day to day lives. 

Have 5 extra minutes? Why not serve. 
Because lets face it, no one has enough time to do anything, unless we put Heavenly Father first in our lives. 

"When we put God first, all other things fal into their proper place or drop out of lives."
--Ezra Taft Benson, talk found here

3 comments

  1. You are one smart cookie, I wanna be like you when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good insight! I wanna download the app but I'm afraid at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you REALLY do 32 hours of the recommended study time? If you do, you rock. But if you don't than you have more time to do the other "2 hour" things right? I know it's tough...keep trying to make all the pieces fall into place. This is good practice for the rest of your life...managing time is so hard. But the way you spend your time does show your priorities.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

© j u s t e m i l y
Maira Gall