Thursday, March 22, 2012

General Conference!


8 days.
192 hours.
11520 minutes.
691200 seconds.

until.......GENERAL CONFERENCE.

My most favorite time of year--and lucky for me, it comes twice a year--is General Conference.

My memories of General Conference include all the kids piling in the big ugly burnt-red-chipped-paint van to the Hogan building were we occupied a large row (and more) to sit and watch Conference projected in the Chapel. It was always dark, yet we still managed to take notes, draw pictures, endless games of MASH, and the inevitable I'll give you a back rub if you give me a back rub.

I looked forward to my 10th birthday solely because that meant I was able to attend General Conference with my parents. I loved it. Everything was surreal, especially at that age. I sure don't remember what talks were given, or what temples were announced, but I do remember the exact place I was standing as I watched the Prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley walked into the Conference Room. I still remember what it looked like and felt like--and I've always had testimony of the truthfulness of the prophets. They are men who are called of God. They are prophet, seers, revelators, and I am truly humbled to be able to sit at their feet next week in the Conference Center and listen to their words.


“Decide now to make general conference a priority in your life. Decide to listen carefully  
and follow the teachings that are given. Listen to or read the talks more than once to better  
understand and follow the counsel. By doing these things, the gates of hell will not prevail against you, 
 the powers of darkness will be dispersed from before you, and the heavens will shake for your good.” 
 - Paul V. Johnson, “The Blessings of General Conference,” Ensign, November 2005, 50


Let us not forget that although, the apostles and Prophet will be speaking to millions of people, and speaking on general topics to a general amount of people, we can make this conference a SPECIFIC conference for you and me. Prepare now by pondering & praying about questions you may have and seek answers for. After all, it is usually though another than our prayers are answered. :)


so excited....
here are few ideas for Conference Helps:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4

4 comments

  1. ahhh, the memories! I just wished we could all be together AGAIN for conference.....and maybe go out to Burger King in between Saturday session?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh the memories!!! Good times those were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, great memories, indeed. Now that I have kids I realize what a challenge that must have been to drag us to all 4 sessions like that! Loved your post...I've been making packets for YW...could have used your links a few days ago! Geesh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, my kids do not understand what it used to be like, going out to the church for 4 sessions. When I lived out East we lived 30-40 minutes away from our building! That made it even more crazy. Now they cuddle up in blankets and eat snacks from the comfort of our own couch!

    I love your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

© j u s t e m i l y
Maira Gall