Wednesday, February 8, 2012

for you and for me

after failing a test (i admit, i automatically fail at math), even after studying for 3 hours in the math lab, 4 hours in regular class, and 4 hours for each hw assignment I still fail....so i walked out the testing center with no gloom, just disappointment, and laughing at myself, saying, "oh well, i'll try again tomorrow." (Thanks Pres. Monson.) I decided to teach myself more often to be happy now, despite my circumstances, despite my failures, despite when i totally misunderstand the writing prompt for class. but i'm reminding myself to be happy now. (i am tons happier now that i actually have a functioning phone! yay for #8 phone in 6 months, don't even dare try to beat me). i know we as LDS women are taught this over and over again, but i will be first to admit that I believe my teenage years/childhood was the best of the best and so i felt like 'being happy now' wasn't really an issue. i think i always was. now, i see why the repetition of 'being happy now' has been engraved in my head, so that when little things from the adversary or little mistakes we make begin to bring us down...we can remember its always better to look up.

"Adam fell that men might be, 
and men are that they might have joy." --2 Nephi 2:25




(designed by em)

5 comments

  1. Way to have a good attitude. But for me, trying to just tell myself to be happy doesn't fly all the time and sometimes I get more frustrated that way. I want to think, is there something SMALL that I'm grateful for today?? That always help so we're not punishing ourselves for not being happy all the time cuz let's be real that's not why we came down here for. ok i'm done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well for me, after taking the tests, i was like, well that sucked...but i wasn't going to make myself get all worked up over it, and get mad...it just wasn't worth it. pretty sure i'll still get into the Celestial Kingdom. But why I liked this so much was because right before Pres. Hinckley said, " I AM AN OPTIMIST."

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you got a functioning phone! Sorry mine was such a pain. Enjoy! And thanks for the inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, too bad you weren't in our RS last week. Sheri Southworth taught this exact lesson! You would've LOVED it!!! I really loved it. I also really loved your cheery post. I automatically fail at math too, and I'm pretty cool.

    Now that Glenn is in 6th grade and doing harder math homework it's becoming more apparent to the kids that I don't do math, and it's kinda embarrassing. I used to know how to do it, I just don't retain those kinds of things. (Sometimes I can't retain it long enough to take the test:) When he gets in the car after school and asks, "Is Dad home?" I know that means he needs help with math. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hha! Oh good! i'm not the only one! i actually remember babysitting one night and helping Glenn with his math problems (while I was doing my math at the same time too!) haha, and I remember thinking--oh shoot this is going to test my basic math skills---i'll admit there were a few we skipped over. :)

      Delete

Total Pageviews

© j u s t e m i l y
Maira Gall