Thursday, March 26, 2015

repentance - my short thoughts

I remember kneeling down for family prayers--and when I was the only child left at home--thats when my parents and I talked the most. I remember it was the evening after having a Young Women's lesson on repentance. I was alittle frustrated. I couldn't figure out exactly why I needed to repent so much and to do so every day. I never robbed, broke the law of chastity, swore, abused anyone, had addictions. Nothing. So what was I to repent for?

I asked my dad. And I actually don't remember what he said.

Luckily, Heavenly Father's been teaching me through various experiences over a few years.

I remember my mission president during one leadership conference ask us first, "How we knew that God loves us," and secondly, "How does God know that we love Him." I felt deep in my heart a desire to repent -- therefore change, change my heart, my desires, my actions, my attitude, entirely towards the will of God. This became the most powerful, personal, and sacred experience of my life. I finally felt the Atonement rush into my life from that moment. God let me feel that, and my testimony of the Atonement has only increased.

But let me explain. Repentance--is not only for sinners. Even Christ repented--yet he was perfect and committed no sins. We first need to understand what Repentance means. According to the Bible Dictionary and the etymology from the Greek Translation, it means to align our will with Gods (Not God's will to our will!).

Christ while suffering in the Garden said, "Father, if it be thy will, remove this bitter cup from me, NEVERTHELESS, not my will, but thine be done." This is just one example of when Christ perfectly aligned His will with the Fathers (isn't that was repentance is!).

I guess my understanding of repentance is change. Elder Holland said that repentance is as quick as someone says, "i'll change" and actually mean it. So, how does this apply to you and me? Well. Tonight, rather than saying a quick, repeated prayer to our Heavenly Father, and instead pray with real intent, that is repentance--because it is change. Just like the man who puts down a bottle of beer, and begins to change. He is repenting too. Repentance is changing who we are--and for the better.

So, like President Hinckley said, "lets try alittle harder to be alittle better." We can be repenting the entire day long. And you know what, I'm convinced that is the greatest plan for happiness.

No comments

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

© j u s t e m i l y
Maira Gall