Sunday, October 26, 2014

Standing in Peter's Shadow

Come with me to the Sea of Galilee.

Meet Peter. The professional fisherman. And now a very worried father, because after a toiling all night, he has not caught a single fish.

Peter begins cleaning his nets. I can imagine his disappointment, and heavy heart. He probably considered how he would provide for his family that day. He had emotions. He had feelings.


While cleaning their nets with great disappoint, appears Jesus. He asks them to push the boat out into the sea. They do. Only then does Christ extend Peter a significant invitation.

"Launch out into the deep and let down your nets." Now wait.

If you were peter what would your initial response be?

Peter's got feelings, emotions, natural man tendencies too, right?
I am sure he had many reasons as to decline Christ's invitation--after all, didn't he just clean his nets, isn't he the great fisherman of these waters, isn't net fishing a nightly event, isn't he just tired from staying up all night? I am confident he considered more reasons. But Peters response are so simply beautiful.

"Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net." Thank you, Peter. Thank you for your example, of following Christ. He said, "nevertheless," meaning whatever I say after this word, nevertheless, is always greater than what I said before. 

Luke 5:6--"And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake." And, then the greatest trial of faith invitation is extended to Peter. Christ calls him to discipleship. To be a fisher of men. 


Isn't this so significant? Christ invited him right after his highest point of success. They just filled two boats with so many fish that they began to sank...and now, Christ has asked him to 'launch out into the deep,' and go on a much different journey. That is a trial of faith. 


I now know, that Christ usually will take us from prosperity and success to something even greater. But we never realize it then. We struggle to see in the future--but we go anyways, because that is whats right. Thats faith. Trusting and Confidence in the Savior. 


I remember when I was about a year into my mission, and teaching this wonderful and sweet lady who just had the vigor to change the world. She loved the gospel, and embraced it, but not quickly. I spent months with her, sitting by her at church, visiting in her home, calling her, we became great friends. But, the week or two before her baptism came, and I was sent to another city to work. I was perfectly happy there. I had no complaints. I loved my companion, the ward, the area, the people, everything. Why did I have to move? What I didn't know, was that the next few months would be my time to 'launch out into the deep.' His invitation to Peter was much more than fishing, as was His invitation to me was much more than just being comfortable. I treaded long and hard in those deep waters, sometimes going under, but after four incredibly hard months, it was when I learned about the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and how his enabling power could strengthen me in the decisions that I made. 


Launch out into the deep. 

There we learn more from our Master Fisherman and friend, Christ. 
I am so glad I did. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

© j u s t e m i l y
Maira Gall