Tuesday, November 13, 2012

placing it on the altar

Most mornings I leave my bed unmade,
dishes in the sink,
laundry to be done,
a to-do list that seems longer than the hours in the day will allow,
as I strap a heavy backpack on, and zip up the back of my boots.

I'm off for a day of independent life.
On these mornings, I take the walk to school.
Those 15 minutes that are just mine.
Well, you might think I walk alone if you saw me there on the side of the road, passing trees, and different apartment complexes. But I don't walk alone.
This is the time I walk with my Heavenly Father.
"My noonday walks He will attend..." (Hymn 109)

Thoughts and ideas begin to flow---promptings of people to visit and things to do.
Its also the time I realize all that I have to be thankful for--the beautiful scenery is always the first topic.

In these moments--uninterrupted--I place my heart on the altar.
I recognize there is no way I can do all that I need to without His divine help.
School work. Church callings. Family Relationships. Roommate relationships. Mission prep. Temple attendance. Cleaning. Homework. Grading papers. Attending classes. Personal scriptures study. Visiting teaching. Exercising. Taking care of myself....the list continues.

As I place each part of my life on the altar, I know that He helps me recognize what is most important right now--and helps me work on that.

My prayer is an offering. And honestly, everything I tell my Heavenly Father in prayer, He already knows. I am never going to tell Him something new, nor will I ever counsel Him. So why pray?

Its not teach God anything, but it is a humble meek invitation for God to teach me something. Ask the right questions. Ask the questions that God can answer appropriately. But meekness has to be apart of my request. 

What I place upon the altar before the Lord, I know He will help me. He has and He will. With more faith--I want to do what He would have me do today. 
Provo, UT mountians

3 comments

  1. Love this post. It kind of reminded me of this quote that I absolutely love.

    “We must be willing to place all that we have—not just our possessions (they may be the easiest things of all to give up), but also our ambition and pride and stubbornness and vanity – we must place it all on the altar of God, kneel there in silent submission, and willingly walk away.” –Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post! thanks, Emily! You're such a good example. Hope you have a wonderful first-time-at-the temple experience! love ya

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

© j u s t e m i l y
Maira Gall