Tuesday, March 27, 2012

thanks, Pollyanna

Every Sunday in our opening exercises for Relief Society, we have a minute for a history minute from "Daughters in my Kingdom," as well as a "Visiting Teaching" minute. Because of my calling, i asked if i could have 1 minute every Sunday to just give a plug for VT.


Sometimes, its been difficult to think of what i'm going to say, week after week, without all the sisters getting sick of me, and so i don't say the same thing over and over again. Overall, it has been one of the best learning experiences to follow the Spirit (much like Dad always taught us for giving talks).


I had been wanting to share this thought with the RS before, but the timing just never felt right until this last Sunday--and personally--i thought this little lesson was more for me than anyone else, but I felt that if i would talk about, maybe i'd remember it longer.


Years ago, I was visiting my cousin Lynette in Springfield in the summer. I ended up getting the flu and stayed in bed for a few days. I watched countless number of movies. One of them happened to be Pollyanna. In the movie Pollyanna, she wears a photo locket with the quote from Abraham Lincoln on it..."If you look for the bad in others, surely you will find it."


In Doctrine & Covenants 88:124 it says, "cease to find fault one with another." and in D & C 42:27, commandments that were given to the Saints, it says, "Thou shalt not speak evil of thy neighbor, nor do him any harm." 

It reminded me of what John Byetheway said concerning our thoughts and words, would we want them projected on the biggest billboard for everyone to see and read. Talking poorly of others in the key into destroying this "noble society" (april VT message) we are apart of. 

So now my goal: "If i look for the GOOD in others, surely, I will find it." 
Why? Because that is what the Savior taught us to do. Before I speak ill of others, i need to stop and remember, is that what Christ would say or think. He was the perfect example in everything. He was too busy "about doing good" (Acts 10:38) to ever speak or think ill of others. 


just something to think about. 

3 comments

  1. such good thoughts Emily! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good. I pinned your little graphic you made. Hope that's ok. I really love it. It's such a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great reminder Emily! I bet you're the best VT leader out there!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

© j u s t e m i l y
Maira Gall