Monday, October 8, 2012

The Call

Never has a seven minute talk impacted my life as much as our beloved Prophet and Friend, President Thomas S. Monson. This weekend I spent with my family watching and listening to General Conference. A conference where church leaders (apostles and the Prophet) speak to us two times a year. Thank goodness for a living Prophet that receives true revelation from Heavenly Father for OUR day!

As the greater good now is aware, the prophet made an announcement that the age for members to serve missions have been lowered, males can now serve at 18 (originally 19), and females at 19 (originally 21).

To some this might seem insignificant, but to me, this effects me greatly. I am approaching my 20th birthday come December, and I will be receiving the best present, actually, from the Prophet, and that is a mission call.

Because of this announcement it has caused many, many girls to quickly decide to serve a mission (same with males). There are many reasons why girls have decided to go so suddenly....but here is why I am going to go.

Most importantly, I have a strong desire to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with His children around the globe because of my testimony in my Savior and His Plan for each individual, I can't help but want to share the greatest joy in my life. I also have felt that the Lord has prepared me for this for the past few months of my life. Around May and June I felt the Spirit prompt me that I would be needing to make a change of sorts in my life--at first I thought that answer was BYU-Idaho, then I thought changing my major, then I thought about internships, it was a time of critical decision making and thought for me. After much prayer and fasting, no answer came. I didn't know whether I should stay at BYU or BYU-Idaho or not, but a feeling of peace of mind and heart filled me. My mind began to be a stupor of thought, and I would never think of the decision I had to make--well, because the Lord had different plans for me, plans I was not anticipating. But now I realize why. He was teaching me patience and to have greater faith---to make decisions and wait upon the Lord, and be patient for those answers. But whether the answers come in a day or 6 months, they come.

Friday afternoon as I was driving with my parents I mentioned to them that I wanted to serve now, and that i felt prepared to serve now, but that I didn't think I wouldn't be able to go in about 1.5 years from now, and that made me sad, because I have wanted to serve. I don't think it is a coincidence that I have felt this desire for the past month to serve NOW.

Lastly, earlier this week my mom and I both had similar dreams in regards to a mission--and some may mock that, but I believe this was another tender mercy that the Lord is aware of me and my needs and my desires and was trying to open my heart to something new.

Grinning ear to ear. Oct. 6, 2012, a day that changed my life!
So.....the process begins. I will have my papers submitted by the end of this week. I am crossing my fingers that I can leave sometime in January. I could not be more thrilled or excited.
I feel humbled that I will be an ambassador of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I want to be witness of Christ, with all my heart, for all my days. I love the gospel. I love the Book of Mormon, and well everyone, I need to go let others know that as well.

Love,
Sister Lewis

p.s. a few extra thoughts: It was so neat to sit next to Julia and Cami when we heard the prophets announcement. It was such a blessing and wonderful feeling. This will be a moment I will always remember because of the Spirit that was felt--its one of those things that words can't describe.

I'll always remember that 30 mins prior to the conference beginning, my old stake president and his wife saw me outside the Conference Center waiting for Cami, and they said, "Congratulations on getting married!" And I quickly responded, "Oh no, thats actually my sister," and without missing a beat I said, "I'm actually going on a mission." After those last words came out of my mouth and they said, "even better!" I quickly opened my mouth--astounished at what just came out. I began thinking in my head, "Emily, do you need to have a self-interview with yourself?" I never fully made a decision to serve a mission--where in the world did that come from?! Not from me, it was from the Spirit. But after the Prophet announced those words, and being overcome with the Spirit, I burst into tears, yes, the people infront of me often looking back at me making sure I was okay. Only to look down the row to see my mother in tears as well. I felt like the Lord and the Prophet were speaking to just me, in that room of 22,000+ members. It was an undeniable experience for me, that I will be serving a mission. And absolutely thrilled with the Lord and my decision. Its the right one, for me.

After the first session of General Conference

4 comments

  1. Congrats, Emily! I loved my mission more than any other time in my life...(granted, I haven't experienced the joys of marriage or motherhood yet) but it truly was an amazing experience. I cried when the revelation came, knowing it would allow more sisters to serve. I'm super excited for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, so happy for you. It's amazing how quickly your life changed. And yet, now looking back you can see how you've been prepared for this and why you're questions haven't been answered in the way you were expecting. Yes, God was thinking of YOU in all of this. I, too, was so excited b/c my mission changed my life and I was excited to think of more women having the experience. I don't think a day goes by that something doesn't trigger a memory from my mission (well that might be a slight exaggeration but still mostly true). I know it's not for everyone but I am so glad it was for me and I'm so glad it is meant for you, too. Can't believe how quickly everything has come together to get your papers in (that's fast! must be right!) Can't wait to hear when your call comes...opening a mission call is one of the COOLEST moments EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this post. its cool how everything came together for you. Those times of confused feeling can be frustrating but so rewarding when you receive the answer. So excited for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a lurking blog reader, but this is too awesome a post to stay silent. What a great experience!! Thanks for sharing this. Congratulations, and I can't wait to hear where you get to go. You will be an awesome missionary!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

© j u s t e m i l y
Maira Gall